Saturday, August 16, 2008

Project Looming Ahead

I am so excited about this unbelievable find! I got an antique weaving loom for a steal of a price and can't wait to learn to use it. She came with everything under the sun: warping board, wool yarns, extra set of heddles, stool, hand bobbin winders, a lot of things I don't even know what to do with yet!

There were 2 antique books on weaving that came with it as well, written and autographed by Gallinger's (maker's) daughter.
I'm making my way through these and 2 other books on the subject first, learning a bit about how it all works, then it's project time! I know if I try to jump in without knowing what I'm doing first, I will be encouraging my clumsy side to take the stage and next thing you know I'll be yelling for help getting my legs and arms unwoven from a three-armed, two-neck-holed table runner!

I am a bit confused on one thing though. Don't know if anyone can help, but.. I was told it was a "four harness counterbalanced loom", which I know what that means, but my question is this: most of the pictures I've seen of other four harness looms have more foot pedals than mine. Mine has 4 but they only move in pairs of 2. Is this a four-harness, or is it a 2? If you know the answer, then please help!

These are pictures that were sent to me before I purchased the loom. I'll put up better ones if I can get my silly scanner to work!




No comments: