Sunday, August 17, 2008

Collecting Yarns

In the past two weeks I have not only acquired a loom that I am trying to learn how to use, but I have also begun teaching myself crochet! I already know a few different stitches , but am still just kinda practicing and taking things back apart (who knew I was actually a bit of a perfectionist underneath the klutz and the slob? must be the German in me!)


And a friend's, Patrick's, mom
got me started on knitting a couple days ago. And Patrick made me a pair of homemade knitting needles Ü cool, huh?





Sooooo.. needless (haha, needles) to say, this is an excellent excuse to go in search of cool and unusual, natural yarn and such for first projects.. and second ones.. and thirds..



So I stumbled upon this recycled sari silk yarn. It seems like it would make some really interesting and unique knit/crochet items with a bit of patience. It's fairly uneven, different thicknesses and loose threads, but I can't wait to try it out on an actual project! I've already done a little crochet with it, just a small square for practice, and it didn't seem too bad.
Although.. when I was starting off I made quite a mess of the yarn! Got it all tangled up somehow and ended up winding it onto a notched card.

Anyone ever worked with this?

No comments: